A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Can't wait for Payday

I've discovered that if you have hungry children and all you have left in the cupboard is sugar you're going to feed them toffee. Never mind that it may make them go crazy or even give them cavities, if it's going to keep them from coming up to you every five minutes complaining, "I'm hungry," you're going to make toffee. In this case we also have gelatin and another sugar, icing sugar, so guess what I made this afternoon, marshmallows. And, as they won't be ready until after dinner, for afternoon tea they got a huge spoonful of marshmallow mixture dipped in milo.

Now I'm thinking about breakfast tomorrow because we don't have any eggs, milk or cereal, so what can you make with flour, sugar, water and maybe some yeast? Not a lot. But I have managed to find a crumpet recipe so it looks like I have to be up with the sun in the morning to get them ready for breaky.

I find it funny (not ha ha) that ever since mothers day and we read the last chapter of Proverbs, about the wife of noble character, and I prayed that I could be more like her, that I have been unable to get to sleep after the sun is up. Proverbs 31:15 tells us that "She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls." And silly me made some comment about how I just couldn't get up that early and guess what? I think that every day this week bar one I have been up with the birds! I think that God is answering my prayer to be more like that wife. My mother-in-law told me this quote: Be careful what you pray for or you might get it. I think it's true in this case.

This part of Proverbs really meant something to me because lately I've been thinking about starting up a sewing class for kids after school. The one that I run for homeschoolers I don't make any money from, I just charge for the materials, but the after school one would be my business and I wasn't sure how it fit in with my husband being the head of the family, I don't want to usurp his God given authority. So this has been on my mind a lot lately, but the wife in Proverbs 31 works very hard and brings in an income, enough to buy a field and with her 'earnings' plants a vineyard. With our income really, REALLY tight at the moment, hungry mouths to feed and winter coming up it would benefit us to have some extra money. I'm in a catch 22 situation with my vegetable garden. It's made and sitting there but it needs soil. I've made it raised because our ground is clay and horrible to grow stuff in and we could really use some fresh fruits and vegetables yet I haven't got enough money for food for the fortnight so how can I spare some to put soil in the garden? Most peoples 'clean fill' that they advertise to give away is the same as our dirt and just clay so I have no option but to buy soil. Anyway I've gotten off the subject. God is good and answers our prayers in ways that He knows is best for us.

BTW dinner tonight is Risotto. I know it sounds fancy but it's basically rice, chicken stock (made with powder) and half a packet of frozen veggies. I actually have a packet of bacon in the freezer so it'll be especially nice tonight. I'm using plain long grain rice, not arborio. The first time I used long grain rice I washed it before I cooked it because I thought it might be too gluggy, but last time I forgot to and it turned out great. So much for risotto being hard to make.

No comments: