A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Tuna Patties

I made these last night, for dinner. They're great because they go a real long way. Several weeks ago my husband and I could see what little work he got drying up and so when we went shopping we bought a huge 10 kilo bag of rice, we figured that if we ran out of everything else to eat at least we'd have rice so at the moment I use rice in just about everything to bulk it out and it surprisingly goes quite well with tuna patties, which up to this point I'd only had with mashed potatoes. Also we've run out of eggs so I was a bit worried about how well these would stay together while being cooked, but they turned out to be the best tuna patties I've made yet.

1 large tin of tuna, drained (or whatever fish you have on hand)
3 cups of cooked white rice
5 medium potatoes mashed with some butter and milk
1 tbsp of curry powder (optional)
1 tbsp of herbs (I used Thai Seasoning last night but I put whatever I feel in)
1/2 a bowl of bread crumbs with 2 tsp of chicken stock powder mixed in

Mix the Tuna, rice, mashed potatoes, curry powder and herbs together well. With wet hands roll large spoonful (or about 1/2 a cups worth) into a patty and roll in the bread crumbs. I first coat the flat sides and then roll the edge, it comes out quite professional looking. On a medium burner heat some oil and fry patties in batches until golden brown on both sides.

This is great for a large family like ours and is great served with a garden salad. We had a plateful left over which I will freeze for dh's lunches.

No comments: