A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Friday, June 6, 2008

Clutter

This week we have done hardly any bookwork but we have done some major decluttering. Flylady (I love Flylady) tells us to break it into zones or rooms but I'm afraid I just jumped in and offered a whole heap of stuff on Freecycle. Most of it had stuff in it which I now have no homes for but it's amazing how much stuff we have collected over time, from even before we were married.

I've been contemplating why we've been hoarding, I have a real problem just getting rid of stuff. I always think to myself that we might need it someday and in some cases we do, but in the majority we don't. I think our hoarding problems come from FEAR! Fear that we'll go without, Fear that we won't be able to replace what we get rid of. I mean my 7 year olds drawers were breaking with all the clothes he had in them (they're mostly handmedowns) and yet I found it really hard to cull his clothes. Even now after one culling and getting rid of three really huge bags of clothes after the baby was born I need to do more. I have clothes in my cupboard that I absolutely hate, but I'm AFRAID that if I dispose of what I don't really want my wardrobe will be bare. I have furniture that is falling apart or is really old that I don't get rid of because it was mine when I was growing up, but it is past it's usefulness. I'm still keeping some clothes that my children will grow into, but I'm being very select and only keeping 6 of each item, that allows a little room for new clothes. Whatever I can't give away on freecycle with go in the skip in a couple of months or, if it's still good, will donate to the Salvo's. We need to deal with this fear and realise that God is providing all our needs, as He tells us in His Word.

I've also come to realise that with 6 children I can't keep going the way I've been going with our routines, basically there are no routines (well we do have some, like lunchtime and morning tea and afternoon tea. Didn't you know that children's internal clocks go by how empty their little tummies are?) Bathtimes are sporadic, when I remember, or they're just plain dirty. I can't remember the last time I told them to brush their teeth, and we know they won't do it without being reminded. They go to bed at a set time but as to whether they get their pj's on after dinner or just before bed, well who knows from one day to the next? I'm tempted to only cook slow cooker meals so that our dinners are at a decent time and our oldest doesn't need to grab a sandwich before he heads out the door to youth on a Thursday or Friday night (plus he might actually get the dishes done, or at least the dishwasher packed). I know my mum probably had a good routine when I was growing up, she had 5 children and I don't remember it being as chaotic as my house is now, but I seem to be a 'learn by your own mistakes' kind of person. I am more organised now than I was when I was younger but I've still got a long way to go.

2 comments:

myheartsathome said...

Hey Bec

Have you tried a buddy system? The older's are responsible for making sure the younger's brush teeth, get ready etc in the am/pm?

You might need to introduce some kind of an incentive at first to make sure they stick with it, but eventually it should pay off.

Mel

Becca said...

Hi Mel,

Yes I've just started implementing not so much a system but just getting the older kids to help out a bit more. I'm reluctant to install a buddy system as I don't want to offload too much responsibility. I'm really aware that they're my kids to bring up (I always have been, a bit like you and freezing up around TV's, I just can't offload my kids to others, even to my own children).