A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Recipe for cinnamon scrolls

I've been hankering for some cinnamon scrolls and so looked online for some recipes. I've run out of eggs once again, as it's 2 days to payday, but everything I read needed eggs, so I decided to adapt all the recipes and make my own.

I used a basic scone recipe (from my mother's old Commonsense Cookery Book) and rolled out the dough into a rectangle shape about 7-8mm thick. I poured a couple of tablespoons of melted butter over it and brushed it all over the dough, then sprinkled sugar and cinnamon. Then roll the dough up and cut into 1-1.5 cm slices, laying them flat on a greased tray. Cook in a hot oven 220 degrees Celsius for about 12 mins or until golden brown on top. Top with runny icing made with icing sugar and boiling water and eat while still warm. They turned out fantastic.

I made a quadruple batch and used half to make pizza scrolls, well cheesy scrolls as I just use tomato paste, some herbs and grated cheese and cook the same way as the cinnamon scrolls.

I just want to tell you a funny story about my recipe book, which is very old and worn. I used to use this at home all the time while I was growing up and when I was in high school they brought out a new version. I bought this for my mum for Mother's Day, thinking that my mum's book was worn and old and that the new one would have even better recipes. My mum then let me have the old one and we put it away for when I moved out of home. I have to tell you, I hated the new book! The recipes just did not turn out the same as the old, tried and true ones. I think I got the best end of the deal and I still use this book the most. If I had to get rid of all my recipe books and keep two they would be the Commonsense Cookery Book and the Women's Weekly The Big Book of Beautiful Biscuits.

No comments: