A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Monday, June 16, 2008

Teaching a teenage boy to cook

I'm finding it difficult to adjust to having Josiah (14) cook dinner every night. I thought it would make life a little easier for me, I could bath Christian (2) and Rose (5mths) while someone else does dinner, but the recipes are up in my head so he needs me to tell him how to make whatever's on the menu. I think that after we move I'll have to sit down and write them all out for him. I am impressed, though, it was his idea for him to start cooking dinner regularly in the first place. How many 14 year old boys do that?

I don't mind packing the dishwasher much, but I am finding it difficult to find the time to wash the left over dishes of a night because Christian needs me to sit outside his bedroom door for an hour while he is supposed to be going to sleep. At least he's normally asleep by 9:30pm, Daniel (7) wouldn't drop until 11:30pm when he was 2, and he is slowly getting to sleep quicker. I just use that quiet time to read my book and when he pokes his head out the door I put him back into bed without talking to him. I also find that as soon as I get Christian off to sleep Rose wakes up for a little feed before settling properly for the night, so it's around 9:30 - 10pm before I get to come back downstairs and then I'm falling asleep so I don't feel like doing the dishes or anything else.

I'd forgotten how time-consuming a couple of little ones are. But I wouldn't change it for the world, especially when they grow up like Josiah.

No comments: