A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Sunday, December 28, 2008

What I'm thankful for

We have all been sick in this household over the last week or so. Last Saturday I had Josiah feeling very sick, with a temperature, and Rose and Christian had a temperature and a rash. I was worried about it being the measles, over Christmas, but the doctor said it was just a virus. Then on Christmas night, after we had all the family at our place, Tim starting feeling unwell. He still went to the Boxing day Test Match, though. On Boxing Day Rose threw up and by the evening Christian was doing the same and I wasn't feeling so crash hot myself. I hardly had any sleep that night, with Christian throwing up a few times during the night, and the following morning I was feeling exhausted and had a temperature myself. Thankfully Tim was feeling better and was able to look after a vomiting Kahlia and then Elijah. So the only one who hasn't been sick is Daniel. Nobody's thrown up today, thank goodness, we've just been hanging out, lounging around, as we're all really weak. The poor kids got a trampoline for Christmas and we haven't been able to set it up for them and it was Christian's third birthday yesterday and Tim and I didn't even wish him happy birthday. We're going to have his cake and give him his present on Tuesday as I think it would have been pointless doing it yesterday for several reasons. I don't think he would understand that it is his birthday and not more Christmas presents and plus we're all to sick to eat birthday cake. I couldn't even begin to make one in my present state.

We did have a really good Christmas, though. I'm glad we didn't start getting this bug until afterwards.

With the end of the year most people look back over what their year was like and make some New Year resolutions. We've had a really bad year in most respects and I've decided to make a list of what I'm thankful for.

I'm thankful for:
*my beautiful baby girl, who was born healthy and is such a sweety.
*my children, who hardly complained at all about our circumstances, and seem to have grown out of all that has happened.
*my husband who is a rock. I know he's nowhere near perfect but we just seem to complement each other in every way.
*Our house that is better than any house we have lived in before and is almost everything I want in a home.
*my family, who have been so supportive through the trials of this year with wisdom, finances, food, and shelter.
*Our God, who enabled us to come through this year whole and possibly better people than when we started, who doesn't do anything without a reason, even if we can't see that reason at the time.

There are plenty more reasons for me to be thankful and as I look out of the study window at the backyard with the long grass swaying in the slight breeze I know that where we are right now is where God wants us to be. I think I am most thankful to Him for helping us through this year, even when I wanted to punch someone in the face or break down into tears He stood there with us and went through everything that we went through and more.

2 comments:

The Vintage Rose said...

Becca, This is such a great way to end the year - listing what you are thankful for. It helps you to realise all the things you are thankful for among the trials and testing of your faith and character - AND reminds you how good God is!and how blessed we are!

Becca said...

Yes, you're right. And I thought is was much more constructive than making resolutions that I would never stick to. I think I might make a habit of reflecting on all the good things in my life and what God has done at the end of each year.