A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Birthday Cakes

We finally had Christian's birthday yesterday. It is actually on the 27th of December but being too close to Christmas and then we were all throwing up the week after Christmas we had to have it late. The poor little kid didn't know what was going on when he started getting all these presents and then was so thrilled when we started singing happy birthday to him and he got to blow out the candle. I think Tim blew out the candle though because Christian was blowing so softly. Everything he got for his birthday was to do with Thomas the Tank Engine and trains, except for a bag of megablocks we got him. We also bought him a little storage thing for his trains and it's already overflowing.

I made a train cake for him, which everyone loved, but I wasn't really happy with it. Tim's sister gave me some tips next time I make a cake with buttercream icing. But at least Christian recognised that it was a train and started making train sounds.
Next on the list of Birthdays is Roses and I want to do something special for her 1st birthday so I spent some time this afternoon practicing making a teddy bear out of fondant. I still think I need to work on making some more but for a first go I'm quite proud of it. I want to have her birthday cake covered in pink fondant icing and have four little teddy bears on top. We'll see anyway how much patience I have. It's hard to spend time doing these things with a baby hanging off your legs and a three year old wanting to taste test everything.

9 comments:

Rosemary said...

Bec, That is fantastic! Well done!

Timbothecat said...

Hey, is one of those ears smaller than the other???

At least your site's centered I suppose!

Becca said...

I'll center you in a minute, Tim. Thanks Rosemary, I was so proud of the job I'd done, when I finished the bear. I can't wait to start on the next one.

myheartsathome said...

Hey Bec, that cake is AWESOME! You are sooooo creative! I love the teddy too, but have no idea what 'fondant' is??

Mel

Becca said...

Hi Mel,
I normally call it roll out icing, but fondant sounds like I actually know what I'm doing;) It's just the package of ready made stuff.

Lyn said...

Hi Becca,
thanks so much for reading my blog! Now I'v e found yours, I'll be reading it with interest, too. I've always loved that passage from Proverbs that you have at the top of the page. And the cake looks great to me!

xx Lyn

pinkflowerbuttons said...

The cake is gorgous, and the teddy bear. Well done.

The Vintage Rose said...

Happy belated birthday to Christian! Adele turned 23 two days ago. You may be interested in Mandys blog "the Old Dairy" she has 7 chn in QLD you can click on her link under followers on my blog. Can I follow Rosemary?

Becca said...

I can't believe the girls are that old now. I remember when I used to babysit Adele. Rosemary doesn't have a blog but she is on facebook.