A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Looking for a Church

We went and checked out a church this morning. It's been about six months since we've had a church we could call 'home' and I've been missing it, but I wasn't able to go regularly half way through the pregnancy of Emily because I'd come home feeling unwell and not right. I decided that it was too much for me to deal with, two littlies and being pregnant, the big kids are okay. The church we went to this morning is an AOG church but it has me thinking what is it that I'm looking for in a church?

1. It has to have a Youth Group. I feel it's important for my teenagers to have some Christian peers that can validate their beliefs and ideas. Most of my kids friends are non-Christians and while I don't have a problem with that I feel that there needs to be friends on both sides for balance.

2. It has to have a children's program. I like my children to stay with us for the first half of the service but also like for them to go out with other children and have some fun, while learning about God's Word.

3. It has to be accepting of larger families. (This is where i get a little opinionated so I apologise for offending you now) The heart of the Pastors needs to be open to the fact that God commanded us to 'be fruitful and multiply'. It is my belief that Satan is laughing his head off at the attitude most Christian people have towards families. We are so deceived into following the world on this. We have to send our children to school, we have to immunise, we have to earn so much money to afford big screen TVs, game consoles, brand name clothing, we have to only have 1 or 2 children because, you know, the world is overpopulated as it is (sarcasm intended). (On a side point I've heard that the entire population of the world could fit into the state of Texas. Each with a family home and a yard) To be honest, I've had enough of people saying that I must love kids, or I must be special because I can cope with so many. God made us all to be able to do this and for women to say they can't they're selling themselves short and disobeying God. (I also believe in the Grace of God and am not saying I think these people are damned and going to hell but I am saying that most Christians have it wrong. I know I did). I find there is not much difference between going to church and not going these days because the attitudes that are in the world are also in the church and our church leaders are included. Which brings me to my next point.

4. Their home groups must be family friendly. The last few churches we went to we needed to get the kids babysat to go to home group (indicative of the people's attitude of children). When I was growing up the kids went everywhere with the adults. I went to home group and either played in a bedroom, or playroom with other kids, or sat quietly in the group and listened to what was being said. Little ones would stay with their parents and possibly even fall asleep. One church we went to a few years ago (when we only had 4 children) suggested Tim and I take turns attending, Tim one week, me the next. So we just didn't go. I would really like to start going to home group again, but I would also like the option of bringing some kids with me if I need to.

There are probably a few other boxes I'd like ticked but I can't think of any at the moment. I am prepared, though, to choose a church where most of my boxes are ticked and pray to God about the rest.

3 comments:

marymo5 said...

I was wondering whether you have found a new church yet, I know how difficult it is to find a church that suits our needs. Hope you find one soon if you have not yet.
By the way I love reading your blog

Becca said...

Hi Mary. Unfortunately we were only able to get to one church and then the kids got hand, foot and mouth disease. Elijah, our 13 year old has gone to that churches youth twice and is really enjoying it, which is not like him, so we think we might just stay there.
Rebecca

Naomi said...

Hi, I like checking out your blog and noticed you were looking for a church. I went through the same process when I was around 19. After a lot of research and searching I found a church I am really happy with. Great family focus, children's program and accepting of large families. I love it and love that they teach gospel doctrine. They respect women and we have our own organisation. I am currently the 'women's president' and get to help oversee 6 congregations of women. I love that I can have a voice and can work to build up women in todays society. Let me know if you want to learn more. Good luck in your search...it is a difficult one to find what is going to work best for your family.