A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Chocolate Biscuits

I haven't posted a recipe in ages so here's my new favourite biscuit recipe. I've mentioned previously how I LOVE my mum's old Commonsense Cookery book and am so thankful she passed it on to me when I bought her a newer version. I'm not known for liking change and trying new things but every now and then I will try another recipe and reading through this cook book once more I noticed this chocolate biscuit recipe. It asks for grated chocolate and I don't have any in the cupboard so I used cocoa.

Ingredients:
4oz. (125g.) butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons condensed milk
Vanilla to taste
1 cup self raising flour
4oz. (125g.) chocolate (grated or chopped)

Method:
1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Add condensed milk and vanilla. Beat well.
3. Add flour and lastly chocolate.
4. Place in small spoonfuls on a greased slide.
5. Bake at 300 degrees to 350 F. for 10 to 15 minutes. (150-180 degrees C.)
I have a fan-forced oven so I went with 160 degrees C. and they took 15 mins. They puff up and then flatten. When they come out they're still soft so I let them cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack. I made a double batch of chocolate biscuits using a few tablespoons of cocoa instead of the chocolate and then made a double batch of custard biscuits, replacing the cocoa with custard powder. They were a real hit with everyone. The next day we were going over to my brother and sister in-laws new house for dinner and the whole family was going to be there so I made a double batch of both chocolate and custard biscuits and they were all gone by the time we left to come home. The next time I make them I might try substituting the cocoa or custard powder with some lemon juice. I can see so much potential for this great biscuit recipe.

No comments: