A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Nearly School Holidays

It's amazing how you feel after a few nights of decent sleep. I've actually been in the frame of mind to sort out the kids homeschooling curriculum for next term and even next year. I've been going through all of the workbooks we already have and seeing if they're suitable for passing down. The kids have been flying through some Spelling and Vocab workbooks that I was hoping would last until the end of the year so I've found some Spelling and Punctuation ones that were barely touched when we first started out and the kids can finish them next term. Kahlia can start on Writing Strands next year. It should be good for her as she loves writing. It wasn't good for Elijah, though, he's a reluctant writer and isn't very good at spelling. I've just found out about a Young Writers Program called NaNoWriMo, it's about writing a novel in a month and I'm signing the kids up to do that. They have a workbook that you can print up to go with it so we'll be doing that next term. They have an adult section so I'll sign up and do it with them.

I want to take on more of a mentoring role so I'm thinking of organising a playgroup out this way for mums who have decided to homeschool their preschoolers. This also gives my preschoolers the opportunity to play with other little kids. They're really bored at the moment and Rose is getting into so much mischief lately.

Elijah wants to be a chef and because he's a reluctant writer I'm getting him a special folder for him to write his recipes in. He'll be able to write his favourite recipes and also the one's he's made up. I'll also put in something that'll let him write how well they turn out.

Daniel is obsessed with xbox games and wants to be a game writer so I'll be focusing on what he needs to do that as well as giving everything a gaming spin. For example his writing activities will be ideas for games, his art and craft can be graphics for his games.

Kahlia does all the work I set for her and more but she's very creative. She'll love the curriculum I write up for teaching Christian his colours and will probably help me implement it. I have a classical art curriculum in the draw that I haven't had time for. Hopefully we'll be able to get into it soon, if we can't get into it as a family I'll get Kahlia to study it on her own.

I haven't really got anything planned to do over the holidays. We might go into Melbourne a few times, maybe to the museum and the aquarium. The kids have been going a little stir crazy because of the illness that's been going around our family. I haven't wanted to go out and pass it on. But we seem to have gotten rid of it at last so I think we might try to get a bit more.

5 comments:

Renata said...

Sounds like you guys have been busy, but are going well! I think that playgroup sounds wonderful - I wish there was one around here. I feel a bit guilty because I always took the older 2 to playgroup, but the twins have to miss out because we home school.
Have a wonderful week
Renata:)

Becca said...

I know, Renata, I always took the older 4 to playgroup and was on the committee at one playgroup, president and all. I was even running a playgroup through the local neighbourhood centre when I had 3 kids at school and 1 at home. But now that I'm homeschooling and have 3 little ones again I haven't gotten into it. I'm starting to think that I need to make the time, though.

Rosemary said...

Glad to hear that things are starting to come together again for you Bec. What you have planned for the kids for next term sounds great. Give all the little munchkins a big cuddle from me. xxxxxxxxx

Bec - Farmers Wife said...

Good to hear your all over the sickness, it can really ware you down. Its really good that you are able put a spin on the schooling for each child, help to keep them interested. Think I'll check out that writing program sounds interesting.

Timbothecat said...

I wish you could feel how much you inspire me baby. I can tell you, but it doesn't do the feeling justice. Thank you for taking such wonderful care of our little cherubs and for giving them the sort of education I would have loved to have had myself.

I love you!