A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Christmas Baking

I know these posts are a bit late but I was madly baking for Christmas. I had a very good year baking and everything turned out perfect. The first thing I made was marshmallows. The recipe I use is from my very favourite cookbook The Commonsense Cookery Book.











Ingredients:

3 tablespoons gelatine Vanilla or lemon essence to taste
1 cup cold water Icing sugar
4 cups sugar Cornflour
1 1/2 cups hot water

Method:
  1. Soak gelatine in cold water.
  2. Bring sugar and hot water to boiling point.
  3. Add soaked gelatine.
  4. Boil gently 20 minutes.
  5. Pour into a large mixing bowl. Cool and add essence.
  6. Beat until thick.
  7. Pour into a swiss roll tin lined with baking paper.
  8. When cold, cut into squares and toss in a mixture of icing sugar and cornflour (I have used only cornflour when I've run out of icing sugar and it was still fantastic).
This time I coloured half the mixture pink and I wrapped them up in cellophane.



No comments: