I know these posts are a bit late but I was madly baking for Christmas. I had a very good year baking and everything turned out perfect. The first thing I made was marshmallows. The recipe I use is from my very favourite cookbook The Commonsense Cookery Book.
3 tablespoons gelatine Vanilla or lemon essence to taste
1 cup cold water Icing sugar
4 cups sugar Cornflour
1 1/2 cups hot water
- Soak gelatine in cold water.
- Bring sugar and hot water to boiling point.
- Add soaked gelatine.
- Boil gently 20 minutes.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl. Cool and add essence.
- Beat until thick.
- Pour into a swiss roll tin lined with baking paper.
- When cold, cut into squares and toss in a mixture of icing sugar and cornflour (I have used only cornflour when I've run out of icing sugar and it was still fantastic).