As I make this off the top of my head some of the measurements may be a little off.
As a general rule I use 1 litre of stock per cup of rice.
For a while I was too scared to make risotto as all the recipes had Arborio rice but once I started making it I realised you can use any rice. We make it fairly often with Basmati Rice.
To give you an idea of how much to make for my large family I use 3-3 1/2 cups of rice, I actually add 1 cup of cheese as well.
- Chicken or Vegetable stock (I use stock powder mixed with boiling water)
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Grana Padano Cheese (you can use parmesan but I like grana padano better)
- Salt and Pepper.
- Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Add rice to frying pan and cook for a couple of mins until grains start to look opaque.
- Add boiling chicken or vegetable stock to the rice and stir. Cook for 10-15 mins on medium high stirring occasionally so the rice doesn't stick. If you find that the rice is getting too dry add some more boiling stock.
- While the rice is cooking saute some sliced mushrooms in a few tablespoons of butter until soft.
- When the rice is ready turn off the heat and stir through mushrooms.
- Add around 1/2 cup of grated grana padano cheese and 1/2 cup of cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.