A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Making Yoghurt With Powdered Milk

I just wanted to let you know about a new recipe I recently found out about. We love yoghurt in this house but with so many kids it goes so quickly and even making it yourself with an Easiyo Yoghurt Maker it is still expensive. I was googling yoghurt making and found a blog that was really interesting so I tried it out. Here's the recipe:

3 Tablespoons yoghurt maker culture
1 1/3 cups powdered milk
Make like you would in the yoghurt maker (fill 1/2 way with water, put the lid on and shake, then fill all the way with water and shake again then fill the yoghurt maker with boiling water to the baffle)

We've always got powdered milk in the cupboard for emergencies and a bag of powdered milk from Aldi is so much cheaper than several sachets of yoghurt culture.

I made it this way for the first time last night and it set even better than usual. I like the fact that it is less sweetened than other yoghurts and you can add your own fruit to it.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Hi Becca,

Thanks for the linkback.

I am now using UHT milk as my preferred method, just because it's quicker and still easy to keep in the cupboard instead of filling my fridge with yet *more* milk (we go through so much in my family), but I still love that i can always keep powered milk in the cupboard as a fall back - we just came back from o/s and it was great to be able to quickly make some yoghurt without even needing to go to the shop.