A wife of noble character who can find?...She speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue...Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:10, 26 & 28

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

40 Days of Mostly Raw

My blog has taken on a vastly different tone from when I first started it. My husband suggested that I start a new one but I like this one and don't really see the need for getting another one.

So one of the reasons I don't do cake decorating from home anymore is that it is so hard with 9 children that are also homeschooled. Towards the end I was making 2 or 3 cakes a month and the house was never tidy, the kids weren't getting any school work done and I was feeling guilty about all the time I wasn't spending with them. The other big reason was that I was concerned about the amount of sugar they were eating from the left over cake and fondant that was in the house.

Over the last 15 years I've learned a lot about health and nutrition as well as using safe personal products but I hadn't been putting what I had learned into effect. This was partly due to financial reasons, having 9 kids with a husband studying will do that, but also because it's hard to change 30 - 40 years of eating and living a certain way. Something would come up, I would get pregnant or we would have an illness or a large financial problem, and I would slip back into old patterns and struggle to get back to where we were. This happened again just recently. My husband, who has type 2 diabetes, contracted an infection and an abscess and was really, really sick. We didn't realise how sick but looking back we now see that it was life-threatening. I know that these things should spur me into trying even harder to eat well but normally they thrust me into a hopeless depression that I feel I can't climb out of easily and that it's just too hard to try and look after everyone's needs.

But what we've been doing must be making an impact slowly as I've found it much easier to get back into the swing of things. Personally I've been cutting down on my gluten intake such as bread. I can quite easily say 'no' to lollies but bread, cakes and donuts are my bane. I've also deluded myself into thinking that my diet isn't really that bad, because I don't eat lots of lollies or add sugar to things like tea and cereal.

Just a few months ago I decided to finally use the probiotic I've had sitting in my cupboard for 2 years and start taking the multivitamins I was taking throughout my pregnancy and also take a better vitamin C and take the Vitamin D that's been in the fridge since I had my last baby. It was just a little experiment to use up the last of the vitamins that I normally use while pregnant but then stop when I've had the baby. I must say that I noticed a huge improvement in my gut health, even with 2 year old probiotic (Neways is the BEST!) and my energy level went through the roof. I hadn't felt that good in ages. This led me to facing the fact that my diet wasn't the best and could be improved on. I wanted to slowly replace the bad stuff with the good stuff so as cakes and biscuits are my bane I needed to find a replacement for them so I didn't feel like I was missing out and wouldn't be tempted to eat the kids food. This led me to My Whole Food Life. I love her snacks and am constantly inspired to try her creations. My favourite so far are these Choc Mint Cookie Dough Bites but I've loved just about everything I've seen on her blog so I have heaps of things to try. Another favourite blog is The Coconut Mama. I've been making my own coconut butter and almond butter. I killed our blender so I haven't made almond milk for a while but will get back to it now I have a new one.

With all this growing and learning I've gradually been stocking up on my health food/superfood supplies and my husband and I have decided to take the next step and try a Raw Food Diet or at least as much as possible. We really want to get his diabetes under control or even gone without the use of medication. We also want our children to see that this is the way to go. Having been brought up on a diet with lots of bread, grains and junk food for snacks I'm meeting a lot of resistance in trying the new things I make. I really want them to not notice the lack of lollies, cakes and biscuits. I've decided to blog about this change for two reasons, firstly as a way of keeping track with how we're going but secondly to let average people of average income with families know that they can do it too.

I just have to share that at the moment my 8, 6 and 4 year olds are standing in the kitchen with carrots held up to their noses, pretending to be Olaf from the movie Frozen :)


No comments: